Makeup and foundation are almost synonymous now. Still, many women fail to realize a makeup foundation’s vitality.
Like the other day, I was peeking through a women’s makeup forum and one question from a 23 years old lady caught my attention due to its lingering tail (of 50 responses from others).
The inquirer could hardly manage her patchy makeup after putting on her puffs and shades. Those who came up with their solutions, couldn’t tick the major problem, ‘foundation.’ So, I thought I could make a coherence among those semi-resolving answers.
No matter what product you use, or how artistic you are at putting on those mascara, primer, or contours, a loose foundation will always turn your makeup shabby.
This post will cover some aspects of doing a makeup foundation rightly, followed by some recommended products for a pretty and pristine makeup look.
Why Most Women Don’t Get Their Foundation Right
Imagine painting on a rough and drywall without smoothening it or applying primer– let alone your desirable wall color, the total painting without preparation would look disastrous.
Similarly, a woman’s face naturally contains pits and girths due to her cheekbones, jawlines, facial muscles, etc., where we must swatch the foundation properly.
A few common mistakes most women do in their makeup for which their faces don’t get the dreamy and natural looks:
- Applying Wrong Foundation Shades: If you aim at turning your yellow skin tone into smokey grey with your makeup, you better choose the right foundation shade to proceed. Besides, letting the shade set into your skin is essential for a natural and perfect look.
- Not Knowing Your Skin Tone: Gone are the days when makeup companies flooded the market with thousands of shades, leaving the skin tone without consideration. Now, shades are available for different skin tones. So, determine if your skin tone is cool or warm before applying a swatch on your face.
- Your Skin Is Unprepared for Foundation: Your foundation may not show the optimum results if your skin is dirty, polluted, oily, or sweaty. Remove all previous makeup residues from your face, including any patches, or small particles. Wash your face with warm water, pat it dry (moist level), apply primer before foundation. You may sprinkle some water on your face before makeup if your skin is too dry.
- Your Foundation Tools aren’t Skin-Friendly: You may not be using a toothbrush on your face for makeup, but even your pricy brushes or sponges may not be agreeing with your skin. Whatever you use, make sure to dab your fingers gently on your skin to even the foundation. Not to mention that you must clean your hands before doing so.
- Your Foundation Measurement is Wrong: Many women tend to forget the “less is more” policy while applying foundation on their face. Many makeup experts suggest applying foundation evenly where it’s most necessary, i.e., black spot, blemish, red patch, etc. Too much foundation may create build-ups in different areas of your face.
How to Get Your Desirable Foundation?
Know Your Skin Tone
First things first, know your skin tone. To do that, you can experiment with the following:
- Tan your skin on a sunny day at the beach.
- If your skin tone is warm, it wouldn’t change much.
- If it’s cool, you may see your skin turn pinkish or bronzy.
If you can’t do this, check your wrist veins.
- If they are green or olive, you have a warm skin tone.
- If blue or purple, you have a cool skin tone.
- If something in between the above two, you have a neutral skin tone.
Next, find the best foundation that goes with your skin tone. There’s obviously no absolute makeup-foundation for any skin tone, but you can experiment with a few from among the top brands.
Select the Right Foundation for Your Skin Tone
Now that you’ve determined your skin tone, let’s get to select your makeup foundation with the following tip:
- Step-1: Choose the closest 3 shades that you think match your skin tone.
- Step-2: Dab those 3 shades on your face as 3 thin lines keeping an inch distance. Apply it on your neck too since your neck and face tone should match.
- Step-3: Inspect which shade goes the closest with your skin tone. Keep that and remove the other 2 shades.
- Step-4: Blend that shade with your skin tone evenly.
- Step-5: Now, dab a cotton bud on a remover and smudge in the middle of your applied shade. If your skin appears in contrast with the shade, then this shade isn’t for your skin tone.
- Step-6: Go for the other closely matched shades and repeat the drill.
This way, you can test hundreds of shades on your skin tone to decide upon the best makeup foundation for your face.
Our Selection: Best 3 Makeup Foundations
- It’s available in 12 shades.
- It contains a built-in sponge.
- It’s a filter foundation.
Why I Choose This Foundation
- You can maneuver an app-filtered effect with this foundation due to its light to blur blending.
- It ensures a natural finish for the rest of the day.
- It’s available in 12 shades for a skin-in photo feast.
- A twistable built-in sponge in this foundation works as a blender and applicator.
- You can own this amazing foundation at a reasonable price.
- Matte finish.
- Available in 20 shades.
- Humidity and allergy-tested.
- Longwear makeup.
Why I Choose This Foundation
- Your oily skin makeup problem days are over with Clinique Stay-Matte.
- It’s suitable for combination dry, combination oily, and oily skin.
- It ensures a natural matte finish.
- An 8 hour or longer makeup foundation.
- It’s a non-acnegenic foundation.
- It contains no fragrance.
- You can rest assured of the allergic reaction from this foundation. It’s allergy-tested.
- It’s pricier, but it comes with more shades and benefits.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- Available in 40 shades.
- Lightweight, oil-free, and full coverage.
- Sun damage proof.
Why I Choose This Foundation
- This tiny foundation comes in a rich formula.
- It’s less expensive; almost a go-and-get it.
- It claims to be cruelty-free and free from all toxic or reactive chemicals.
- It can restore your uneven skin tone.
- It ensures a semi-matte finish while leaving your skin oil-free.
- Imagine what you can play with 40 available shades in this foundation!
- One of the best real-life filters you can use on your face with this foundation.
Best 3 Foundations for Every Skin Type
It’s a foundation and a concealer at the same time. It blends into the skin with its rich creamy content, assuring you flawless skin. It’s soothing, moisturizing, and skin-protective.
This matte to satin finish foundation comes with 39 shades to try out. It’s a light-to-medium coverage product, yet you can extend the coverage to full length if you like.
This smaller but pricier highly pigmented foundation is made for a long-wearing finish. Its bullet tip triangular stick makes sure you can make precise touch-ups on the contour and a mess-free blend.
- How can I ensure a flawless foundation on my face?
Answer: Wrong application of foundation can mess your makeup. So do the following:
- Step-1: Pat your skin dry after washing, but not too dry.
- Step-2: Apply primer.
- Step-3: Apply the foundation with a brush or sponge. Make sure you don’t take more foundation than your skin needs.
- Step-4: Once you’re done with brush strokes, use your fingertip to even the foundation with your skin. Hence, your flawless foundation is done.
- Is sponge a good tool for applying foundation?
Answer: Yes, a sponge is an effective tool. But according to various makeup specialists, a sponge works best for oily skin as it spreads the applied foundation on the skin to give it a natural look.
- How to stop patchiness after applying foundation?
Answer: If your skin is suffering from dehydration; chances of patchiness are high. Use a primer before applying the foundation as the primer helps the skin letting the foundation set in smoothly.